Optical character recognition or OCR is the software used to extract the text contained in an image only file. Businesses often feel that using OCR software is a cheap and easy solution to convert documents from uneditable image files to editable text files.
However, when it comes to practical implementation, reliable desktop publishing or DTP service offers a far better quality of results than OCR. There are several limitations of OCR software for CAT-tools that contrarily make the task even more complicated than any easier.
Limitations of OCR Software
Here are some of the most common limitations of OCR software:
1) Case sensitivity: OCR may not provide accuracy with regards to the case sensitivity of characters. The software may have difficulty in detecting lower cases and upper cases with some types of documents and fonts.
2) Font Related Issues: The software usually detects the first font size and continues to convert the entire document in the same font. OCR may also fail to detect very large or small fonts, thus compromising the accuracy of output.
3) Format: OCR tools cannot detect the text in all types of formats. OCR tools well accustomed to detecting printed texts often fail to convert handwritten documents.
4) Complexity: OCR tools fail to process complex documents like forms. Text over the lines or inside blocks can go undetected, and the tool also fails to read tables, creating some huge inaccuracies in the output.
5) Noise Removal: OCR fails to detect noises in a document. Black spots, garbage values, and other unnecessary disturbances are not removed, therefore creating a highly unprofessional output document.
6) DPI Issues: Documents like faxes do not have symmetrical dots per inch format. The DPI is non-symmetrical horizontally and vertically, and the OCR may not precisely detect characters on a non-symmetrical document.
7) Text Partiality: Image only documents may have different layers of texts due to overlayed edits and additions. OCR often detects fonts of higher visibility and neglects other text in a document.
8) Linguistic limitations: Traditional OCR software may not properly convert documents in multiple languages, and the output result may have some terrible inaccuracies and errors.
9) Special Characters: Documents can sometimes have special characters that may be incomprehensible for your OCR software, and therefore, it may fail to provide the desired quality of output.
Solution to Limitations of OCR
As you can see, there are several limitations of OCR software for CAT-tools, that make the conversion process highly complicated. You may have to deal with several inaccuracies and errors which compromise the quality of output data.
The best possible solution to overcome all the limitations effortlessly is to hire professional desktop publishing services for all your document conversion needs. You can rely on DTP Labs if you are already looking for a reliable service provider. At DTP Labs, we use a mix of technology and expertise to perform document conversions in all world languages.
So, now you no longer have to waste time trying to solve the puzzles given as output by OCR. Just contact us!